Log in

Anthony "Tony" Arndt [userpic]

Rest in peace, grandma. Thelma Cora Nybo, Saturday, July 26, 1919 - Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January 29th, 2011 (10:49 pm)

current location: Moscow, Russia
current mood: sad
current song: "Into the West" by Annie Lennox and Howard Shore

I love you grandma, give grandpa a hug for me wherever the two of you find yourselves.

Thelma Nybo
Thelma Cora Nybo 
Saturday, July 26, 1919 - Wednesday, January 26, 2011


Thelma Cora Nybo, age 91 of Austin, died Wednesday, January 26, 2011, at Sacred Heart Care Center. She was born July 26, 1919 to Clarence and Tella (Evjen) Shervem in Rock Dell, Olmsted County, Minnesota. She faced many challenges at a young age, losing her mother when she was only 5 years old and her father before she graduated from Austin High School in 1938. Tragedy struck again when her only sister, Violet, died at the age of 23. On December 20,1942 Thelma married Clarence Nybo at St. Olaf Lutheran Church. After her marriage, she worked part-time at the YWCA and also checked coats at the Terp Ballroom. Thelma’s “main job” was taking care of her girls. Thelma will be remembered for the joy that she found in her family, dancing, golfing and bowling. She moved to Sacred Heart in 2009.

Survivors include two daughters, Donna Nybo of Austin; Linda (Donald) Lenz of Austin; three grandchildren, Anthony (Kira) Arndt, Angela (Joseph) Winkler, Lonnie (Holly) Arndt; three step-grandchildren, Laura (Chuck) Speltz, Jana Lenz, Mathew Lenz; 9 great-grandchildren; brother-in-law, Carl (Gloria) Nybo, and many cousins. Thelma was preceded in death by her husband, Clarence, in 2007; her parents and sister, Violet.

Funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m., Saturday, January 29, 2011 at St. Olaf Lutheran Church in Austin with Pastor Ron Barnett officiating. Interment is at Oakwood Cemetery. Friends may call one hour prior to the service. Worlein Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Condolences may be expressed to the family online at www.worlein.com. In lieu of flowers, the family prefers memorials to the Mower County Humane Society, Paramount Theatre or St, Olaf Church.

This was written by my mom and Aunt Donna.


The beginning and ending of mom’s life proved to be very challenging.

She lost her mother when she was only 5, her father when she was 17 and her only sister when she was 28. She had to move to Austin to attend high school and lived and worked for Glen and Ethel Webber for her room and board.

The end of mom’s life proved to be equally challenging. In the last 22 months of her life she had to endure many bone fractures, including fracturing her pelvis twice. But she was amazingly resilient, fighting back each time.

However, it is the happy memories of the times in between which brings smiles to our faces.
  • Playing lawn darts. For some reason whenever mom would throw hers, it would always go straight up in the air and we would all have to run for cover. We fully understand why they were recalled for being too dangerous.
  • Trip to Norway. Mom had never flown before, so she was quite anxious about an 8-hour flight. Being the kind thoughtful children that we were, we solved the problem with a trip to Chi Chi’s restaurant and a pitcher of margaritas. It must have relaxed her because after she set off the metal detector at the airport and got patted down, she proceeded to pat down the security officer.
  • Trip to New Orleans. We were not along, but we heard that when they were at one of the clubs on Bourbon Street they started to dance and the other dancers cleared the dance floor to watch them. They could really kick up their heels.
  • The tale of the golf cart. Mom was out golfing at Ramsey Golf Course with some of her lady friends, and somehow ended up driving down into the creek. Luckily the water was only up to her hips, so she was able to hoist up the purses and golf bags from the cart. That didn’t put a “damper” on the day. One of the other ladies went and got her cart and a dry pair of socks for mom and they continued on, knowing that dad was playing a few holes back and would deal with the cart. Mom must have been wearing drip dry slacks.
  • Tabu perfume. Dad always bought mom Tabu perfume for Christmas and once we became older it became a Christmas gift for us too. When we heard that Dana was not going to make it any more, we bought out the town. It proved to be a false rumor and we still have plenty left.
  • Last outing to the fair. On the last day of the county fair this summer we decided to take mom to the fair. She had been craving a funnel cake and we thought why not just push her down there in her wheel chair. We lucked out and the D.C. Drifters were playing in the fair square, which provided some great music to eat a powdered sugar funnel cake to. She sat there bouncing to the music eating her funnel cake and covering her black slacks in powdered sugar.

Of course, we remember mom most as a mother and grandmother. She always made the holidays special, cooking our favorite foods. She would vacate the front room when we brought our dates back to the house. She would flick on and off the outside light, if we sat in the driveway too long with our dates.

She also provided emergency daycare. She came willingly into a house filled with flu germs. Many Friday nights she would take just one of the grandchildren, so they could have some only child time with the grandparents.

Mom we still are wearing Tabu and we will think of you every time we put it on.

Your “girls”


Posted by: Janitor of Lunacy (wodurid)
Posted at: January 30th, 2011 12:59 am (UTC)

My condolences upon your loss.

Posted by: Kevin (mister_bitters)
Posted at: January 30th, 2011 07:51 am (UTC)

My deepest condolences.

Posted by: Marion (weofodthignen)
Posted at: February 12th, 2011 04:23 pm (UTC)

My condolences.

What a lovely tribute.


3 Read Comments